Wednesday, May 7, 2008

There's No Such Thing as a Free Lunch...

...unless you're That Girl.

Because of my own idiocy, I managed to score big at the Golden Arches this morning. I ordered a sweet tea and some food, and proceeded to the last window, not seeing the first one and being used to Bicknell's championship McD's. So I hand the lady my moolah and she got a puzzled look on her face.

"Was no one at the first window?" she asked.
"There was a first window?" I said.
"I'll go back and take care of it," she said.

enter the weird stares of several of "the Ronald's" people while they prepared the food of non-idiot customers who knew there was a first window.

*cue raising of awkward flag.*

One employee came up and asked, "You paid with a card, right?"
Not so much.

After waiting approximately 4-5 minutes (a John Mayer song+ a OneRepublic song) the nicest employee came to me and handed me my money back. She said it was their mistake.

Au contraire.

I wanted to tell her: "Don't you know who I am? I am That Girl and I do stupid/awkward things every day like skip the first window at the Drive Thru. I should pay you extra for putting up with me."

But of course I didn't say that. I'm on a budget, silly. I did say, "Are you sure? I'd be happy to pay." She waved me off and I rode away with my free lunch but lacking most of my dignity. Whatever. Free lunch is FREE lunch.

That Girl triumphs when she does what the econ professors say is impossible... [pumps fists in air]

3 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, Lauren...this is why I love you. :) My husband still teases me every time we see a "senior discount day" sign...how was I to know they'd charge me full price for the oil change even though I was a senior that year??? lol

Lauren said...

Congratulations, Carol. You get my blog's That Girl of the month award. A real honor. Comes with coupons.

Unknown said...

seriously, between SCL and this post...

i need a nap. i've giggled and laughed myself into complete exhaustion.