Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why I Love Daisies.

In You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan's character, Kathleen Kelly, explains her love for daisies:


"I love daisies...They're so friendly. Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?"

I am in my apartment this morning and am staring at the fake daisies all over my apartment. Like Kathleen Kelly, I think that they are friendly little flowers.
But there are more reasons I like daisies (pink gerber daisies are my flavor of choice) than their inviting nature.

I like daisies because once they open up, they don't hide anything. I can see every part of the flower as it is wide open. This may sound ridiculous, but I think daisies are the flower of transparency.

What if we lived wide-open lives, hiding nothing from the community of God? How inviting would that be? It seems to me that people are drawn to us when we lay bare our joys and struggles on the altar and don't pretend to be something we're not. Daisies are "friendly flowers" because there's no beauty hidden but rather all of it revealed by the open nature of them.

0 comments: